Paint Industry Analysis

Topics: Automotive industry, Coatings, Volkswagen Group Pages: 5 (1806 words) Published: September 2, 2013
Paint Industry in India
The Indian paint industry is valued at Rs 26,000 crore by to AC Nielsen with 70 per cent of it being decorative paints and the remaining 30 per cent being industrial. The per capita paint consumption has been estimated to be 2.57 kgs. The size of the industry is 3.1 million tonnes with decorative paints being 2.4 million tonnes and industrial paints being 0.7 million tonnes in volume terms. The Indian paint industry is growing at a double digit rate for several years now, unlike in the western countries and Japan where the growth has stagnated. The paint market is estimated to double to Rs 50,000 crore by 2016 with per capita consumption increasing to over 4 kgs. And it is expected to continue growing at around 15% as historically it has grown at an average of 1.8 times the GDP rate. Industry leaders are hopeful of achieving the ambitious growth over the next four years.

According to the experts in this field, the growth in the market is going to be driven by increase in the propensity to spend and growing population with increasing number of nuclear families. Infrastructure is at the lowest level in the country today, and so there is a lot of scope for a sustained growth in the industrial paints business. The demand for industrial paint is going to be driven by the pick-up in the automobile industry and growth in infrastructure in India. A few salient features of paint industry in India:

* The paint industry over the next five years is expected to grow at 12-13% annually. Demand has been low during the current few years for the industry as a whole due to subdued demand across key sectors and rising inflation. * In the unorganised segment, there are about 2,000 units having small and medium sized paint manufacturing plants. The unorganised sector controls around 35% of the paint market, with the organised sector accounting for the balance * Top organised players include Asian Paints, Kansai Nerolac, Berger Paints and ICI, etc. * Demand for paints comes from two broad categories - decorative (60%) and industrial (40%). Decorative demand is mainly driven by fresh construction (40%) and repainting (60%). * Decorative paints account for over 77.3% of the overall paint market in India. Demand for decorative paints arises from household painting, architectural and other display purposes. Major segments in decoratives include exterior wall paints, interior wall paints, wood finishes and enamel and ancillary products such as primers, putties etc. Asian Paints is the market leader in this segment. This segment is price sensitive and is a higher margin business as compared to industrial segment. * The industry demand is mainly from the auto (about 75%). Three main segments of the industrial sector include automotive coatings, powder coatings and protective coatings. The industrial paints segment is far more technology intensive than the decorative segment. In the listed space there are mainly three paint companies, Asian Paints, Berger Paints India and Kansai Nerolac. Kansai Nerolac is the market leader in this segment. User industries for industrial paints include automobiles engineering and consumer durables. * The paints sector is raw material intensive, with over 300 raw materials (50% petro-based derivatives) involved in the manufacturing process. The industry benefits from softening crude prices as most of the raw materials are petroleum based. * The market for paints in India is expected to grow at 1.5 times to 2 times GDP in the next five years. With GDP growth expected to be between 5-6% levels, the top three players are likely to clock above industry growth rates in the future, considering they have a strong brand and good reach. * Decorative paints segment is expected to witness higher growth going forward which will benefit key players in the long term. * On account of increasing investments in infrastructure, the demand for industrial paints is expected...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Paint Industry Analysis Essay
  • Pest Analysis of Paint Industry in India Essay
  • Analysis of the Paint Industry Essay
  • Paint Industry Essay
  • Financial Analysis of Paint Industry Essay
  • Indian Paint Industry Essay
  • Paint Industry in India Essay
  • Essay on Paint

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free